Who we are: HSE’s Construction Division
HSE’s Construction Division is part of the Field Operations Directorate (FOD), the main operational part of HSE. The Head of the Division and Chief Inspector of Construction is Peter Baker.
The Construction Division includes:
Operational units: more than a hundred inspectors in 22 offices across the country responsible for:
- site inspections
- guidance, education and support
Construction Sector: takes an active role in dealing with the industry and key stakeholders. Sector works with
- operational inspectors, to support and advise
- key industry stakeholders, to develop and deliver strategy
- national and European bodies, to develop standards such as CEN. BSI
Sector also gathers intelligence about the health and safety performance of the industry and produces guidance for the industry.
- develops new construction legislation
- deals with wider policy initiatives
- links with other government departments on construction issues.