Case Study 2: Allgood Services Ltd
Bricklayers taking ownership of health and safety in Allgood Services Ltd
The company had reached a high standard in health and safety and was constantly striving to improve standards on site. Nevertheless, worker engagement was identified as an area where improvements could be made. Supervisors promoted good health and safety on site through fortnightly toolbox talks, yet these were not wholly effective in engaging all workers with health and safety matters. There was a need to grow a shared responsibility between workers and managers for decisions about health and safety.
Allgood recognised the need to put health and safety information across in a simple way to prevent workers from “switching off” during toolbox talks and to quickly digest key messages. Taking LWIT’s picture-based scenarios as a starting point, Allgood developed a new programme of toolbox talks, in three stages:
- Consulting with bricklayers to find out the top five risks in their job that might cause them to have an accident or suffer ill health
- Learning from the experience of delivering picture-based, interactive toolbox talks, including using tablet computers
- Delivering a programme of interactive toolbox talks that addressed Allgood’s top 5 risks
Despite some initial challenges – eg, getting all supervisors to carry out regular toolbox talks, and the use of tablet computers on site to deliver toolbox talks often impractical - attitudes towards health and safety have changed for the better:
- Supervisors and bricklayers are involved in health and safety decisions and are supported to make some decisions themselves
- Bricklayers now pay attention in toolbox talks, discuss and quickly grasp health and safety messages
- Supervisors carry out regular toolbox talks and take decisions to stop work when unsafe
The business benefits have been:
- Allgood’s good practice is noted in site meetings
- A reduction in reportable injuries under RIDDOR
- Repeat business is being generated due to high health and safety standards.
- Increased confidence and competence of site supervisors.
Read the full text of the Allgood Services Ltd case study.