Falls from vehicles campaign and the construction industry – Autumn 2007
The 'Falls From Vehicles' campaign will take place from October to December 2007. The campaign is being launched to cut the numbers of injuries and deaths caused by falls from vehicles across all industries, which costs British businesses nearly £37 million in human and economic costs.
- 90% of falls from vehicle injuries in all industries are from falls below head height
What is HSE doing with the construction industry?
- The campaign will focus on falls from vehicles, especially falls from low heights.
- The aim is to raise awareness of the risk of falling that workers are exposed to when accessing and/or working at height on vehicles and the actions that should be taken to minimise these risks.
- There will be focused inspections in the construction industry in October, November and December 2007.
- We are targeting those who can make a difference, with the messages that;
- Approximately 2000 workers are seriously injured and on average 5 lose their lives across all industries every year as a result of falling from a vehicle. The construction industry accounts for around 10% of these
- Site managers and those responsible for directing loading, unloading and other activities involving vehicles, and how they are carried out.
- Workers/operatives getting on and off vehicles to load or unload on site - more often than not, these are the people likely to be at risk and who suffer the injuries.
- Vehicle manufacturers and trailer builders who have control over the safety features on delivery vehicles.
- Financial/transport/logistic/engineering managers responsible for vehicle procurement and safety features.
- For all other industries, approximately three-quarters of those injured are delivery drivers. However, in construction 70% of all falls from vehicle injuries occur to non-drivers ie those who are involved in unloading delivery vehicles
What have we done so far?
We have already sent out a mailshot to manufacturers of commercial vehicles and trailers encouraging them to get ready for the campaign as vehicle buyers will be looking to them to supply the safety features.
- In construction falls from vehicles occur mostly when workers/operatives are working on, loading/unloading the vehicle, and getting on or off.
What else are we doing?
Why not receive free regular updates by signing up for the falls from vehicles campaign eBulletin.
- A high proportion of construction accidents occur on delivery vehicles; usually on HGVs and flat bed vehicles.
Related industry guidance
- Construct - Guide to the safe transportation of formwork and falsework
- NASS - Safe delivery and unloading of steel products
- BCSA - Guide to work at height during the loading and unloading of steelwork