Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.

Confidentiality and using an alternative chemical name

The UK has left the EU, new rules from January 2021

The transition period after Brexit comes to an end this year.

Find out what you can do now to prepare

Suppliers may request the use of an alternative name for a substance(s) in a mixture where commercial confidentiality is at risk.

Suppliers wanting to use an alternative chemical name must apply to the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) and pay a fee. The fee is on a sliding scale with small and micro businesses paying the least.

Updated: 2020-06-04