Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.

Get competent advice

As an employer, you must appoint someone competent to help you meet your health and safety duties. A competent person is someone with the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to manage health and safety.

You could appoint (one or a combination of):

You probably manage most aspects of your business yourself, or with help from your staff. But if you are not confident of your ability to manage all health and safety in-house, you may need some external help or advice.

There are a number of different sources of advice. These include:

Deciding what help you need is very important. Unless you are clear about what you want, you probably won’t get the help you need.

Things to consider when using external help

Try to make sure that you get a good follow-up service and are able to get further advice on any issues that arise from implementing their recommendations.

The OSHCR provides an up-to-date list of general health and safety advisers who have a qualification recognised by the professional bodies participating in the scheme. If you require general external health and safety advice, you can search the register for a consultant by industry, topic, county or keyword(s).

HSE and a network of professional bodies and stakeholders have been working in partnership to develop this register. Together, this partnership has agreed that a minimum standard should be set for consultants to join the register. This will reassure employers that those consultants on the register have been assessed and meet the minimum standard set by the professional bodies they belong to.

This minimum standard has been set at a degree level qualification, at least two years’ experience and active engagement in a continuing professional development scheme. All consultants who join the register are bound by their professional body/ bodies code of conduct and are committed to providing sensible and proportionate advice. For further details, see:

Free leaflets

Getting further help

If you require detailed technical advice, or advice that is related to a very specific topic, you may want to contact a particular specialist professional body or health and safety adviser. A list of such advisers is available under Information of sources of advice. This is not a comprehensive list and it does not imply any endorsement by the Health and Safety Executive.