- Business sector: Construction
- Business activities: Security and logistics
- Location: Essex
Wilson James provides security and logistics support services to the construction industry. Wilson James worked with Stanhope plc and Bovis Lend Lease at a site with a peak workforce of over 1000 workers.
Wilson James wanted to provide a new service for construction workers: on-site healthcare, because we believed this was the way to:
- provide first aid quickly and to a higher standard,
- provide better healthcare for the workers,
- reduce lost time,
- improve lifestyle awareness in workers.
What did the company do?
The company provided a full-time nurse and a well equipped medical room. The nurse provided:
- First aid
- Treatment for some injuries that would otherwise have meant a trip to hospital, minimising downtime
- Onsite call-out, going to the affected worker on site
- Lifestyle MOT checks, letting those away from home or working long hours get help and advice without losing wages
- Medical advice and referral for any condition, whether from work or not
The nurse discovered many diseases- several cases of heart problems (one immediate admission to hospital), Weil's disease, skin growths (possibly cancerous), high blood pressure, glaucoma (major cause of blindness), and others.
- Reduced lost time - usually no need to go off site - even for medical advice
- Treating workers on site saves downtime
- Gained worker trust - the service was confidential
- Workers felt valued
- Healthier, more aware workers benefit the industry
Health and safety benefits
- Fewer accidents - minor and reportable
- Reduced accident frequency rate
- Injuries treated quickly, on site
- Service for all on site
- Serious diseases detected
This service was part of the normal site overhead and not considered to be an additional cost.
The company saved £145,000 but the key business driver was to provide a valuable service to the workers on the site. The saving was a bonus.