Edmund Nuttall Ltd
- No. of employees: 2,500
Business sector: Construction
- Business activities: Civil engineering
- Location: England, Wales and Scotland
- Stakeholders: Employees, union representatives, occupational health and human resources professionals and senior management
In 1997, Nuttall launched, in partnership with the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB), 'Qualifying the Workforce' - a drive to improve worker and subcontractor competence. The partnership was awarded 3 European Social Fund grants.
Nuttall (along with the rest of the industry) was facing a growing skills shortage, high labour turnover and threats to productivity and quality.
What did the company do?
Since its inception, the initiative has involved: 2,500 monthly and weekly paid staff 1,500 subcontractor workers
- Qualifying the workforce - focusing on the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS)
- Qualifying managers and supervisors as NVQ assessors
- Qualifying the London workforce - covering a range of skills development including health and safety training, English second language training, numeracy and literacy training
- Staff turnover reduced from 62% in 1999 to 33% by 2002
- Improved risk control in supply chain through partnerships with sub-contractors and SMEs
- Improved competitiveness of proposals
- Improved staff morale
Providing advice and guidance on developing all industry (workforce) standards, eg Investors in People and Workforce Development.
'The company is a leading force in UK civil engineering and enjoys a reputation for delivering high profile schemes. These training initiatives will continue to provide Nuttall with a competitive advantage, and most importantly, an unrivalled service for the benefit of our clients.
Graham D. Medcroft, Director, Human Resources
Health and safety benefits
- 60% reduction in accident rate (1.8 to 0.7 per employee) since 1996
- 4767 National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ) units achieved with 762 full NVQs being awarded
- Reduction in lost time and time spent in accident investigation
- Providing advice and guidance on developing all industry (workforce) standards, eg Investors in People and Workforce Development.
Having spent close to £2 million since 1997, improvements in staff turnover through reduced recruitment, training and other associated costs to the company has amounted to a savings of approximately £500,000 per year.
'Major projects such as 'Fast Track to Success' have confirmed Nuttall as being one of the leaders of the industry, in terms of upskilling both the workforce and the supply chain. The advances in terms of health and safety, the working environment, lifelong learning and equal opportunities will yield substantial benefits long after the project has finished.'
Graham D Medcroft, Director, Human Resources
'Training and certification develops our workers and their sense of achievement, and gives the business a safer, more committed and skilled workforce adding real value to our services.'
Kevin Bennett, Training Manager