Exempt for the purposes of product and process orientated research and development (PPORD)
- Article 9 exemptions (PPORDs) in EU REACH will be carried over into UK REACH.
- Current exemptions under EU REACH for substances imported or manufactured for purposes of product(s) and process oriented research and development (PPORDs), where the research and development concerned takes place in the UK, will be grandfathered into UK REACH. If you are a manufacturer, importer or producer, you must, within 120 days of the UK leaving the EU:
- Notify the Agency of the relevant information required as per Article 9(2) - using the UK REACH IT system – no fee is required on compliance with this for a grandfathered PPORD;
- Notify the UK Agency (the HSE) of the number and notification date assigned by ECHA;
- Supply the UK Agency (the HSE) with copies of any additional necessary information given to ECHA.
- Grandfathered PPORDs will be subject to the same conditions imposed by ECHA, and existing validity periods for PPORD exemptions will be maintained e.g. five years from the agreed date with ECHA under Article 9(3) or Article 9(7), and may be extended by up to 10 years.
- Grandfathered exemptions will expire on the date that the exemption granted under the EU REACH Regulation would have expired unless you request an extension from the UK Agency (the HSE).
- Further information on what the new UK REACH will look like
|You want to||You need to||By when|
continue R&D use in the UK
1. Comply with the standard information requirement;
2. Notify HSE of the number and notification date assigned by ECHA;
3. Supply HSE with copies of any additional necessary information given to ECHA.
120 days post-exit day