Export and import of hazardous chemicals (PIC) from and into Europe during a potential implementation period
The UK is strongly committed to the effective and safe management of chemicals. This will not change after Brexit.
Our priorities are to:
- ensure the continued effective and safe management of chemicals to safeguard human health and the environment
- respond to emerging risks and allow trade with the EU that is as frictionless as possible.
Preparations for an implementation period
The UK will no longer be a Member State of the European Union during an implementation period, but market access will continue on current terms. This means that UK-EU trade will be able to continue on the same terms as now until the end of an implementation period.
What businesses need to know about an implementation period
During an implementation period:
- registrations, approvals, authorisations and classifications in place before the UK leaves the EU will continue to be valid during an implementation period in the same way that they are now
- during an implementation period, the UK will recognise all new registrations, approvals, authorisations and classifications granted by the EU
- during an implementation period, we expect that HSE will not be able to act as a ‘leading authority’ to conduct certain assessments under the Plant Protection Products, Biocides and REACH regulations. We will work with affected businesses to minimise disruption and delay to their ongoing assessments
- UK-based businesses will have the same rights during an implementation period as EU-based businesses to have their cases accepted and processed by ‘leading authorities’ based in other EU member states
- HSE will continue to process product applications under the Plant Protection Products regulations and Biocidal Products Regulation for the UK market under the national authorisation route during the implementation period. Any applications will be considered against the current rules and standards
If there is no deal
We have produced guidance to help you prepare in the event the UK leaves the EU without a deal (and therefore without an implementation period).