Use and maintenance of controls
COSHH requires that employers take all reasonable steps to ensure that the control measures they provide are used, which includes provision of information and training, as well as appropriate supervision of employees. This may also include the requirement for use of a permit to work system.
In addition, measures must be implemented to ensure that:
- equipment provided meets the requirements of the Provision of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER), ie suitable and safe for use, and safely maintained. (In this context, equipment also includes needles);
- engineering controls used are kept in efficient working order and good repair;
- non-disposable personal protective equipment is appropriately stored, checked, kept clean and, if faulty, repaired or replaced.
- Control of substances hazardous to health (Fifth edition)
- Blood borne viruses in the workplace: Guidance for employers and employees
- Providing and using work equipment safely: A brief guide