Hepatitis B vaccination
The Department of Health has identified the following occupational groups to be at an increased risk of exposure to blood-borne viruses and recommends that they be immunised against HBV:
- laboratory staff handling biological material that may be contaminated with BBV;
- staff of residential and other accommodation for those with learning difficulties;
- those handling cadavers and other human remains, such as anatomical pathology technologists (APTs), funeral directors, embalmers and pathologists;
- prison service staff in regular contact with inmates; and
- certain members of the emergency frontline services, such as the police, ambulance and fire and rescue services, may require vaccination, but only if local risk assessment indicates a need, and only if occupational health advice supports this requirement.