Controlling risks to sewage workers
Workers whose activities bring them into contact with untreated sewage and sewage are at risk of contracting a work-related infections including BBVs.
Detailed guidance is available:
- Infection at work: Controlling the risks. A guide for employers and the self-employed on identifying, assessing and controlling the risks of infection in the workplace.
- The Health and Safety Executive: Working with sewage The health hazards: A guide for employers. (1996)
- Control of substances hazardous to health (Fifth edition)
- Blood borne viruses in the workplace: Guidance for employers and employees
- Providing and using work equipment safely: A brief guide