Cleaning services (including laundry services)
UNISON provides general infection prevention and control information - applicable to all NHS employees - within their document Occupational Health and Safety Standards, the NHS Staff Council working in partnership. Available at: Unison.
Controlling occupational exposure risk to laundry workers
Laundry workers may be in direct contact with used / infected linen if they are involved in front line sorting of linen prior to washing and disinfection. The use of personal protective equipment is therefore necessary to mitigate the risk associated with handling these materials.
Useful guidance is available at:
- NHS Executive HSG(95)18. Hospital laundry arrangements for used and infected linen. Available as a PDF download at: HSG (95)18: Hospital laundry arrangements for used and infected linen
- Infection Control Guidance for Care Homes (2006). A UK Department of Health publication. Ref. No. 275698. Available at: Infection control guidance for care homes
- Control of substances hazardous to health (Fifth edition)
- Blood borne viruses in the workplace: Guidance for employers and employees
- Providing and using work equipment safely: A brief guide