Publications listed below provide the necessary knowledge required by licensed asbestos contractors. Whilst contractors will need an appropriate level of awareness and understanding of all relevant legislation and guidance, the Approved Code of Practice L143and all publications listed in the section "Detailed guidance for work with asbestos" will be of particular importance to licence holders. It is expected that applicants will have copies of these documents available for reference.
HSE publications can be purchased from HSE books.
Where possible HSE will provide a PDF version of documents. These documents can be viewed on your computer or printed on your own printer.
- Asbestos Licence Amendment, Assessment and Revocation Guide (ALAARG)
Please consult the asbestos licensing web pages for this and other relevant information.
- SI Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (SI 1974/1439 ISBN 0 10 543774 3)
- SI The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 (SI 2012/632 ISBN 0 11 152108 3)
- L143 Work with materials containing asbestos: Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 (2012) Approved Code of Practice ISBN 0 7176 6618 8
Detailed guidance concerning health and safety management
- HSG65 Successful health and safety management ISBN 0 7176 1276 7
- Leading health and safety at work
- Managing for health and safety: Guidance for regulatory staff on the practice of assessing health and safety management
Detailed guidance for work with asbestos
- Fit testing of respiratory protective equipment facepieces
- HSG264 Asbestos: The Survey Guide ISBN 9780717663859
- HSG247 Asbestos: The licensed contractors' guide ISBN 0 7176 2874 4
- HSG248 Asbestos: The analysts' guide for sampling, analysis and clearance procedures ISBN 0 7176 2875 2
- HSG227 A comprehensive guide to managing asbestos in premises (2002) ISBN 0 7176 2381 5
- HSG210 Asbestos essentials task manual (2001) ISBN 0 7176 1887 0
- HSG53 Respiratory protective equipment at work: A practical guide (2005) ISBN 9780717629046
Asbestos Liaison Group (ALG)
The ALG is an industry specific group setting standards for the industry and producing guidance. Information and guidance (including ALG memos) is available.
Relevant Health and Safety Executive (HSE) leaflets for work with asbestos
Information on training standards is now available via the following link.
- Asbestos essentials
- Asbestos: The licensed contractors' guide
- Managing and working with asbestos: Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012