Managing my asbestos - A step by step guide

11. Getting work done

Key points

  • Don't do it yourself. The contractor needs all the right training and equipment.
  • If you don't have professional tests done to confirm the presence or absence of asbestos, materials are presumed to be asbestos. You must apply full asbestos safety precautions when doing all work. This means getting either a licensed or a trained contractor to do the work - see below.

Is the work licensed?

Depending on the materials and type of work being done you may need to use an HSE-licensed asbestos contractor. If this is not needed you should use a contractor who is trained to deal with asbestos. This tool can help you decide which you need:

Do I need a licensed contractor or a trained contractor?

Licensed work

Licensed contractors need you to provide certain facilities

The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (CDM) (See right) apply, with a 14-day notification period before work can begin.

Non-licensed work

Employ a contractor who is trained to work with asbestos and should use methods like those in 'Asbestos essentials'. (See right)

Related links


These links take you outside the 'Managing my asbestos' tool. You will need to use your browser's back button to return to this page.

Is this page useful?

Updated 2023-05-16