5. Inspect your building
For small premises
eg workshop, trading estate unit, office, shop.
If you follow these steps correctly, your own inspection is normally sufficient to make an asbestos register.
For larger premises
eg more than 25 employees, more than a few workrooms, or if you are unsure.
You may decide to employ a competent asbestos surveyor. (See link on right)
Inspecting your building
NB. See 'Further information' (below) and 'Related links' (right) to help you complete this
- Copy or draw a plan of the building.
- Walk round and look.
- Get some help - a second pair of eyes is always useful.
- Mark on the plan what contains, or might contain asbestos.
- Print a blank asbestos register.
- Note down each material that might contain asbestos. Note how much there is and its condition (good/poor)
- Where you can't get access, eg a roof void, wall cavity, presume that this contains asbestos. Note this down in the register.
- When your inspection has finished, complete your asbestos register.
- Add the date and sign it.
- Do not disturb any material that might contain asbestos.
These links take you outside the 'Managing my asbestos' tool. You will need to use your browser's back button to return to this page.