Collage of asbestos images

Table of domestic/non-domestic premises

The 'duty to manage' applies to all non-domestic premises.

It also applies to common parts of domestic premises. This table helps you to identify where this duty applies.

Type of
Type of
Rooms or
Duty to manage applies?
Private house - single dwelling, including bed-sits Owner - occupier All No
Let to single family All No
Occupied by more than one family Private rooms, eg bedroom, living room No
Shared rooms, eg kitchen, bathroom, lavatory No
Rooms let to lodgers Common areas for access and circulation, eg entrance hall, staircase No
Private rooms No
House converted into flats Occupied by more than one family Private rooms No
Common areas for access, circulation and storage, eg entrance hall, staircase, roof space Yes
parking spaces
Integral to, or linked with residence Private No
Not allocated to any specific person Common parts Yes
Block of flats Occupied by more than one family Individual flats No
Common areas, eg foyer, lift, stairs, lobby; boiler and plant-room, roof space, communal yard, garden, store rooms, bike shelter, external outbuilding Yes
Flats over a shop or office, with or without a separate entrance Occupied by the shop or office owner Private rooms No
Leased separately Private rooms No
Access and circulation areas Yes
Sheltered accommodation   Private rooms No
Common rooms, eg dining room, lounge No
Work areas, eg kitchen, staff room, laundry Yes
Common areas, eg foyer, lift, stairs, circulation areas, boiler room, store rooms, roof space, external outbuilding Yes
Hotel, guest house, hall of residence, hostel (private and local authority), care home Includes bed and breakfast if that is the main purpose Private rooms occupied by the owner No
Guest accommodation and common areas, (eg foyer, lift, stairs, circulation areas), store rooms, roof space, outbuilding Yes
Tied cottage / accommodation Leased or rent-free All No
Farm Leased or rent-free Farmhouse No
Farm buildings Yes

For domestic premises, tradespeople should:

  1. refer the client to an HSE-licensed contractor for work that needs a licence, or
  2. for non-licensed work with asbestos - follow the advice in Asbestos essentials

    (Note: this link takes you outside the Managing my asbestos tool. You will need to use your browser's back button to return to this page.)

Is this page useful?

Updated 2023-05-16