4. What information do you have already?
Is there any existing information about asbestos in the building?
You should try to collect as much information as you can about any previous asbestos record as it will help with the next step, 'Inspect your building'
Try to get a copy of any reports or plans relating to the building. The building plans may not have any information about asbestos but a copy is useful for noting down your findings.
In addition you can:
- look for any records of previous asbestos work;
- ask the previous owners or tenants of the building;
- ask the facilities management company, if there is one;
- ask equipment suppliers or repairers;
- ask the building designer, architect or builder.
If you can't find the information don't worry. It is useful but not essential. You should continue to the next step.
- Take note of any previous asbestos surveys, but don't rely on them. They might have missed asbestos materials.