Are you a...building owner?

You can help us improve our website by completing a short survey.

Go to survey

What you need to know

If you are a building owner, and/or are responsible for the maintenance or repair of non-domestic premises, you have a duty to manage any asbestos in that building. 

The duty to manage covers all non-domestic premises including industrial and commercial buildings such as factories, warehouses, offices and shops.  The duty also covers public buildings such as hospitals, schools, museums, libraries, leisure centres, churches and other religious buildings. 

Although the duty does not apply to domestic premises such as private houses, it does apply to the 'common parts' of multi-occupancy domestic premises, such as purpose-built flats or houses that are converted into flats.

What you need to do as the dutyholder

Further information on the duty to manage asbestos is available.

Updated 2023-05-16