HSE Staffing by Division/Directorate: 1 April 2003 – 1 April 2007
|Staff in post figures are full time equivalents, rounded to the nearest whole number and include agency/temporary staff and inward secondees/loans for which HSE meets all or the majority of costs.||Staff in post||Staff in post||Staff in post||Staff in post (Including staff responsible for rail health & safety regulation matters transferred to ORR on 1 April)||Staff in post (Excluding staff responsible for rail health & safety regulation matters transferred to ORR on 1 April)||Staff in post|
| Health and Safety Commission
| Legal Advisor’s Office||-||-||39||34||34||31|
| Resources and Planning Directorate||496||446||426||433||433||395|
| Communications Directorate||-||24||26||31||31||25|
|Safety Policy Directorate||114||-||-||-||-||-|
|Strategy and Analytical
|Strategy Division (formerly
Strategy and Intelligence Division)
|Operational Policy Division||35||35||-||-||-||-|
| Operational Policy &
| Local Authority Unit||-||-||-||18||18||18|
|Field Operations Directorate||1712||1609||1623||1543||1543||1424|
|HM Railway Inspectorate (HMRI)||184||209||173||172||-||-|
|Nuclear Safety Directorate||293||287||259||249||249|
| Electrical Equipment
|Corporate Science and
Analytical Services Directorate
|Total HSE Staff||3820||3658||3552||3594||3414||3174|
|Health and Safety Laboratory||342||361||351||397||397||374|
- Figures in the first column for 1.4.2006 include staff with responsibility for rail regulation health & safety matters who transferred to the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR) on that date. Inclusion will enable direct comparison with previous years’ figures.
- From 1.4.2006, HSC’s Secretariat is shown separately.
- The Solicitors’ Office was renamed the Legal Advisor’s Office in January 2005.
- Directorate of Information and Advisory Services section of the Resources and Planning Directorate (RPD) was reformed into Communications Delivery Service in October 2004. From 1.4.2006 the Chief Executive’s Office is included in RPD’s figures.
- Communications Directorate was formed in January 2004.
- From 1.4.2006 Strategy Division includes HSE’s Secretariat.
- Operational Policy and Support Division, which replaced Operational Policy Division in January 2005, comprised Operational Policy Unit (formerly Operational Unit), Local Authority Unit and Operations Support Unit.
- From 1.4.2006, Local Authority Unit is shown separately.
- Nuclear Safety Directorate was renamed Nuclear Directorate (ND) on 1.04.2007 and the staff in post figure excludes staff in the Office for Nuclear Safety and UK Safeguards Office who transferred from the Dept for Trade and Industry to HSE’s ND on that date.
- The Electrical Equipment Certification Service ceased to operate on 1.10.2002.
- The Corporate Science and Analytical Services Directorate was formed 1.1.2003 and combined analytical services, risk policy and science and technology into one Directorate.