HSE staffing by Division/Directorate for 1 April 2002 – 1 April 2006
|Division/directorate (d/ds)||01.04.02||01.04.03||01.04.04||01.04.05|| 01.04.06||01.04.06|
|Staff in post figures are full time equivalents, rounded to the nearest whole number and include agency/temporary staff and inward secondees/loans.||Staff in post||Staff in post||Staff in post||Staff in post||Staff in post (Including rail health & safety regulation matters transferred to ORR on 1 April)||Staff in post ( Excluding rail health & safety regulation matters transferred to ORR on 1 April)|
| Legal Advisor’s Office||-||-||-||39||34||34|
| Resources and Planning Directorate||515||496||446||426||429||429|
| Communications Directorate||-||-||24||26||31||31|
|Safety Policy Directorate||125||114||-||-||-||-|
| Strategy and Analytical
| Strategy Division (formerly
Strategy and Intelligence Division)
|Local Authority Unit||25||-||-||-||-||-|
|Operational Policy Division||-||35||35||-||-||-|
| Operational Policy &
| Local Authority Unit||-||-||-||-||18||18|
| Field Operations Directorate and
HM Railway Inspectorate
|Field Operations Directorate||-||1712||1609||1623||1543||1543|
|HM Railway Inspectorate (HMRI)||-||184||209||173||172||-|
|Hazardous Installations Directorate||559||615||605||553||548||548|
|Nuclear Safety Directorate||268||293||287||259||249||249|
| Electrical Equipment
| Corporate Science and
Analytical Services Directorate
|Total HSE staff||3927||3820||3658||3552||3594||3414|
|Health and Safety Laboratory||355||342||361||351||397||397|
- The Solicitors Office was renamed the Legal Advisers Office in January 2005.
- Directorate of Information and Advisory Services section of the Resources and Planning Directorate was reformed into Communications Delivery Service in October 2004.
- Communications Directorate was formed in January 2004.
- Operational Policy and Support Division, which replaced Operational Policy Division in January 2005, comprised Operational Policy Unit (formerly Operational Unit), Local Authority Unit and the new Operations Support Unit.
- Local Authority Unit’s figures are shown separately from April 2006
- The Electrical Equipment Certification Service ceased to operate on 1/10/2002.
- The Corporate Science and Analytical Services Directorate was formed 1/1/2003 and combines analytical services, risk policy and science and technology into one Directorate.
- Shaded figures at 1.04.06 include staff with responsibility for rail regulation health & safety matters who transferred to the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR) on that date. Inclusion will enable direct comparison with previous years’ figures.