HSE Staffing by Division/Directorate: 1 April 2004 - 1 April 2011
|Division / Directorate||1/4/07 (1)||1/4/08 (2)||1/4/09 (3) (4)||1/4/10 (5)||1/4/11 (6)|
|Includes PSD||Excludes PSD|
|Health and Safety Commission Secretariat||5||-||-||-||-||-|
|Board of Health and Safety Executive Secretariat||-||4||4||-||-||-|
|Parliamentary and Secretariat Unit||-||-||-||7||10||10|
|Legal Advisor’s Office||31||25||25||26||16||15|
|Resources and Planning Directorate||395||316||316||-||-||-|
|Human Resources Directorate||-||-||-||102||99||87|
|Planning, Finance and Procurement Directorate||-||-||-||81||83||70|
|Corporate Science and Analytical Services Directorate||73|
|Chief Scientific Advisor’s Group||-||76||76||65||70||-|
|Corporate Science, Engineering & Analaysis Directorate||147|
|Corporate Specialist Division||-||157||157||97||94||-|
|Pesticides Safety Directorate||-||-||174||-||-||-|
|Chemical Regulations Directorate||-||-||-||236||238||218|
|Cross Cutting Interventions Directorate||-||-||-||-||143||120|
|Operational Policy Division||-||-||-||-||-||-|
& Support Group
|Local Authority Unit||18||14||14||-||-||-|
|Field Operations Directorate||1424||1207||1207||-||-||-|
|HM Railway Inspectorate||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Hazardous Installations Directorate||536||513||513||-||-||-|
|Nuclear Safety Directorate||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Local Authority Unit||-||-||-||9||-||11|
|Field Operations Directorate||-||-||-||1277||1307||1171|
|Hazardous Installations Directorate||-||-||-||501||539||515|
|Operational Strategy Division||-||-||-||-||106||90|
|Business Services Division||-||-||-||136||134||105|
|Deputy Chief Executives Office||-||-||-||14||22||18|
|Office for Nuclear Regulation||-||-||-||-||-||403|
|Total HSE Staff||3208||3030||3204||3201||3319||3041|
|Health & Safety Laboratory||374||369||369||390||383||359|
- 1 April 2007:
- Nuclear Safety Directorate was renamed Nuclear Directorate (ND) on 1 April 2007 and the staff in post figure has been restated to include staff in the Office for Nuclear Security (FTE 29) and UK Safeguards Office (FTE 5) who transferred from the Dept for Trade and Industry to HSE on that date.
- 1 April 2008:
- HSC's Secretariat shown as Board of Health and Safety Executive Secretariat.
- Legal Advisors Office (LAO) moved out of Policy Group.
- Chief Executive's Office (CEO) is included in RPD's figures.
- CDS moved from RPD to Communications Directorate (CD).
- Corporate Science and Analytical Services Directorate renamed Chief Scientific Advisor's Group.
- Science and Technology Group (formed 1 April 2007) renamed Corporate Specialist Division.
- PSD (Pesticides Safety Directorate) transferred from DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs). Figures are shown including and excluding PSD to enable direct comparison with previous years' figures.
- 1 April 2009:
- RPD split to form: Human Resources Directorate (HRD) - combining Human Resources (HR) and Trade Unions (TU); Planning, Finance and Procurement Directorate (PFPD) - combining PFPD, Internal Audit (IA) and Chief Executives Office (CEO); Business Services Directorate became part of the Deputy Chief Executive’s responsibility.
- HSE Secretariat became the Parliamentary Secretariat Unit (PSU) and became standalone.
- Operational Policy & Support Division (OPSD) is included in the Deputy Chief Executive’s Office and is directly accountable to the Deputy Chief Executive.
- The Deputy Chief Executive's responsibility includes Operations Group (Field Operations Directorate, Hazardous Installations Directorate, Nuclear Directorate and Local Authority Unit), Deputy Chief Executives Office and Business Services Division.
- Pesticides Safety Directorate (PSD) and part of Corporate Specialist Division (CSD) merged to form Chemical Regulations Directorate.
- Strategy Division (SD) ceases to exist.
- 1 July 2009:
- Policy Group (PG) split to form Cross-Cutting Interventions Directorate (CCID) and Operational Strategy Division (OPST).
- Local Authority Unit (LAU) became part of Operational Strategy Division.
- 1 July 2010:
- Corporate Specialist Division (CSD) became part of Chief Scientific Advisor's Group (CSAG) .
- 1 April 2011:
- Nuclear Directorate (ND) renamed Office for Nuclear Regulations (ONR), moved out of Operations to become an In-house Agency of HSE.
- Local Authority Unit (LAU) split from Operational Strategy Division (OPST).
- On 1 April 2011 the Chief Scientific Adviser's Group was renamed the Corporate Science, Engineering and Analysis Directorate (CSEAD).