HSE Staffing by Division/Directorate: 1 April 2004 - 1 April 2009
|Staff in post figures are full time equivalents, rounded to the nearest whole number and include agency/temporary staff and inward secondees/loans for which HSE meets all or the majority of costs||1/4/04||1/4/05||1/4/06 (1)||1/4/07||1/4/08 (12)||1/4/09|
|Inc staff responsible for rail health & safety regulation matters transferred to ORR on 1 Apr||Ex staff responsible
|(2) Health and Safety Commission Secretariat||-||-||5||5||5||-||-||-|
|(2) Board of Health and Safety Executive Secretariat||-||-||-||-||-||4||4||-|
|(14) Parliamentary and Secretariat Unit||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||7|
|(3) Legal Advisor’s Office||-||39||34||34||31||25||25||26|
|(4) (13) Resources and Planning Directorate||446||426||433||433||395||316||316||-|
|(13) Human Resource Directorate||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||102|
|(13) Planning, Finance and Procurement Directorate||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||81|
|(5) Communications Directorate||24||26||31||31||25||73||73||66|
|(10) Corporate Science and Analytical Services Directorate||86||76||88||88||73||-||-||-|
|(10) Chief Scientific Advisor’s Group||-||-||-||-||-||76||76||65|
|(11) (17) Corporate Specialist Division||-||-||-||-||-||157||157||97|
|(17) Pesticides Safety Directorate||-||-||-||-||-||-||174||-|
|(17) Chemical Regulations Directorate||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||236|
|(6) (14) (18)Strategy Division||8||6||19||19||12||11||11||-|
|Operational Policy Division||35||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|(7) (15) Operational Policy & Support Group||-||79||51||51||49||40||40||-|
|(8) Local Authority Unit||-||-||18||18||18||14||14||-|
|Field Operations Directorate||1609||1623||1543||1543||1424||1207||1207||-|
|HM Railway Inspectorate||209||173||172||-||-||-||-||-|
|Hazardous Installations Directorate||605||553||548||548||536||513||513||-|
|Nuclear Safety Directorate||287||259||249||249||-||-||-||-|
|(9) Nuclear Directorate||-||-||-||-||303||296||296||-|
|DEPUTY CHIEF EXECUTIVE (16)|
|Local Authority Unit||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||9|
|Field Operations Directorate||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||1277|
|Hazardous Installations Directorate||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||501|
|(13) Business Services Division||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||136|
|Deputy Chief Executives Office||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||14|
|TOTAL HSE STAFF||3658||3552||3594||3414||3208||3030||3204||3201|
|Health & Safety Laboratory||361||351||397||397||374||369||369||390|
- Figures in the first column for 1/4/2006 include staff with responsibility for rail regulation health & safety matters who transferred to the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR) on that date. Inclusion will enable direct comparison with previous years’ figures.
- From 1/4/2006, HSC’s Secretariat is shown separately. From 1/4/2008 shown as Board of Health and Safety Executive Secretariat following merger of HSC and HSE.
- The Solicitors’ Office was renamed the Legal Advisor’s Office in January 2005. Moved out of Policy Group 1/4/2008
- Directorate of Information and Advisory Services section of the Resources and Planning Directorate (RPD) was reformed into Communications Delivery Service in October 2004. From 1/4/2006 the Chief Executive’s Office is included in RPD’s figures.
- Communications Directorate was formed in January 2004. From 1/4/2008 includes CDS (FTE 54) who moved out of RPD on that date
- From 1/4/2006 Strategy Division includes HSE’s Secretariat.
- Operational Policy and Support Division, which replaced Operational Policy Division in January 2005, comprised Operational Policy Unit (formerly Operational Unit), Local Authority Unit and Operations Support Unit.
- From 1/4/2006, Local Authority Unit is shown separately.
- Nuclear Safety Directorate was renamed Nuclear Directorate (ND) on 1.04.2007 and the staff in post figure has been restated to include staff in the Office for Nuclear Security (FTE 29) and UK Safeguards Office (FTE 5) who transferred from the Dept for Trade and Industry to HSE on that date.
- The Corporate Science and Analytical Services Directorate was formed 1.1.2003 and combined analytical services, risk policy and science and technology into one Directorate. Renamed Chief Scientific Advisor’s Group on 1/4/08
- Science and Technology Group (formed 1.10.2007) renamed Corporate Specialist Division 1/4/2008
- PSD (Pesticides Safety Directorate) transferred from DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) to HSE on 1 April 2008. Figures are shown including and excluding PSD to enable direct comparison with previous years’ figures.
- On 1 April 2009 RPD split to form: Human Resources Directorate (HRD) – combining Human Resources (HR) and Trade Unions (TU); Planning, Finance and Procurement Directorate (PFPD) – combining PFPD, Internal Audit (IA) and Chief Executives Office (CEO); Business Services Directorate became part of the Deputy Chief Executive’s responsibility. (see note 16)
- On 1 April 2009 the HSE Secretariat became the Parliamentary Secretariat Unit (PSU) and becomes standalone.
- From 1 April 2009 Operational Policy & Support Division (OPSD) is included in the Deputy Chief Executive’s Office and is directly accountable to the Deputy Chief Executive.
- From 1 April 2009 the Deputy Chief Executive’s responsibility includes Operations Group (Field Operations Directorate, Hazardous Installations Directorate, Nuclear Directorate and Local Authority Unit), Deputy Chief Executives Office and Business Services Division.
- Pesticides Safety Directorate and part of Corporate Specialist Division merged to form Chemical Regulations Directorate from 1/4/2009.
- From 1/4/2009 Strategy Division ceases to exist.