Working Group on Action to Control Chemicals (WATCH)
WATCH no longer meet
This information is a record of previous WATCH meetings available from The National Archive. You will be directed to The National Archive if you follow any of the links listed in this table.
Agendas, papers and minutes
18 October 2012
20 June 2012
21 February 2012
25 October 2011
Asbestos: finalisation and confirmation of the position statement of WATCH following the Oct 2010 meeting and subsequent e-mail consultation
Metalworking fluids (MWFs) and respiratory disease: presentation from David Neadle, chairman of the UK Lubricants Association (UKLA) MWF Product Stewardship Group, on the chemical formulation of MWFs – plus update on the overall programme of work on this issue.
Burden of occupational cancer in UK and the HSE/UK cancer/carcinogens intervention programme
- Asbestos : Chairman's cover letter.
- Annex 1 : WATCH position from October 2008 (with post-meeting clearance by correspondence)
- Annex 2: Assessment of the 7 points agreed by WATCH as meriting attention (cover paper, paragraph 9, bullet points) by Andy Darnton, HSE
- Annex 3: Contribution from a WATCH member following the February 2010 WATCH meeting
- Annex 4: Update of published asbestos concentrations in buildings under normal use and occupation. (By G.Burdett, HSL)
- Annex 5: COC Guidance on risk assessment for carcinogenicity
- Finkelstein etal 2010 - Malignant Mesothelioma Among Employees of a Connecticut Factory that Manufactured Friction Materials Using Chrysotile Asbestos.
- D Mirabelli et al 2008 - Excess of mesotheliomas after exposure to chrysotile in Balangero, Italy
- Pira et al 2009 - Mortality from cancer and other causes in the Balangero cohort of chrysotile asbestos miners
- Loomis et al 2009 - Lung Cancer Mortality and Fiber Exposures among North Carolina Asbestos Textile Workers
- Dement et al 2009 - Estimates of historical exposures by phase contrast and transmission electron microscopy in North Carolina USA asbestos textile plants.
- Asbestos : Additional note from Andy Darnton on Chrysotile exposure.
- Asbestos : Progress on the action plan from November 2009 WATCH meeting. WATCH/2010/1
- Annex 1: The risks of lung cancer and mesothelioma from relatively low-level exposures to different forms of asbestos.
- Annex 2: A response from HSE's Asbestos policy Unit to the report from WATCH Secretariat dated 26 November 2009.
- Annex 3: Update of published asbestos concentrations in buildings under normal use and occupation.
- Welding: Reducing the risk of ill health from Welding Fume WATCH/2010/2
- Secretary's Report WATCH/SecReport/2010/1
- Asbestos : Refinement of a control banding approach to control of asbestos exposure situations WATCH/2009/5
- Annex 1: Model for exposure, control and risk banding assessment for work with asbestos.
- Annex 2: Conclusion, following drafting by committee members
- Further update on activities relating to past WATCH papers: Metal Working Fluids
- Secretary's Report WATCH/SecReport/2009/3
- Asbestos: Progress towards developing a control banding approach to control of asbestos exposure situations - WATCH/2009/3
- Further update on activities relating to past WATCH papers: Azo dye penetrants
- The potential for WATCH contribution to consultation processes - a first example - WATCH/2009/4
- Annex 1: IGHRC Concept note for a workshop on: Descriptive vs. Quantitative Risk Assessment of Genotoxic Carcinogens
- Secretary's Report - WATCH/SecReport/2009/2
- Asbestos – Initial thoughts on a control banding approach to risk control WATCH/2009/1
- Update on activities relating to past WATCH papers
- Azo dye penetrants
- Metal Working Fluids
- Welding Fume and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) – Updated paper WATCH/2009/2
- Annex 1 - Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) – Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema. Report by the Industrial Injuries Council in accordance with Section 171 of the Social Sceurity Administration Act 1992 reviewing the proescription of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) – chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Cm7253. ISBN 978-0-10-172532-3. November 2007.
- Annex 2 : Table giving the prevalence ratios for COPD for the top ten standard occupational classification 1990 minor (2 digit) groups based on the HSE analysis of health survey for England data. *Confidential*
- General committee issues :
- Potential for WATCH contribution to consultation processes (for example, papers produced by EU Directorate Generals)
- ACTS Plan of Work for 2009/10
- Secretary's Report WATCH/SecReport/2009/1
- Asbestos: The risks of mesothelioma and lung cancer in relation to relatively low-level exposures to different forms of asbestos. What statements can reliably be made about risk at different exposure levels. WATCH/2008/7
- Annex 1: The risks of mesothelioma and lung cancer in relation to relatively low-level exposures to different forms of asbestos. What statements can reliably be made about risk at different exposure levels.
- Annex 2: What statements can reliably be made about risk at different exposure levels? - Comments received on the pre meeting paper
- WATCH 2008 - Presentation 1
- Presentation 2
- Welding Fume and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) WATCH/2008/8
- Annex 1 : Table giving the prevalence ratios for COPD for the top ten standard occupational classification 1990 minor (2 digit) groups based on the HSE analysis of health survey for England data.
- ECHA website - Voluntary risk assessment reports
- Lead : Current Regulatory Position WATCH/2008/9
- Annex 1 : "General aspects" from the ESR RAR
- Annex 2 : SCOEL/SUM/83 final (2002)
- Annex 3 : Menke et al., 2006
- Annex 4 : Extract from the ESR RAR relating to national legislation in the EU for lead.
- Annex 5 : Summary of the occupational exposure data from the ESR RAR
- A Safe Guide to Handling and Disposal of Manufactured Nanomaterials WATCH/2008/10
- Annex 1 : BSI Published Document PD 6699-2:2007 Nanotechnologies – Part 2: Guide to safe handling and disposal of manufactured nanomaterials. ICS 13.100; 71.100.99
- Annex 2 : Short summary on the fibre measurement issues raised by BSI Published Document PD 6699-2:2007 Guide to safe handling and disposal of manufactured nanomaterials.
- Azo dye penetrants - update
- Secretary's Report WATCH/SecReport/2008/3