HSE - Motor Vehicle Repair Health and Safety Forum
In January 1999 the MVR Health and Safety Forum was set up to co-ordinate the interests and activities of all those involved with health and safety in the industry.
Terms of reference
- To consider and advise on the protection of people at work from hazards to health and safety arising out of their work activities connected with any aspect of the repair, maintenance or servicing of all types of motor vehicles.
- Similarly, to consider and advise on the protection of the public from related hazards arising from such work activities.
- To promote good standards of health and safety practice in work activities in motor vehicle repair, maintenance and servicing.
- To act as a focal point to co-ordinate the interests and activities of organisations with an interest in health and safety in motor vehicle repair, maintenance and servicing.
Membership includes representatives from a wide range of organisations with an interest in MVR and associated industries, including trade and professional associations, equipment and services suppliers, insurance companies, educational bodies and the trade unions. The Local Authorities (LAs) are also represented.
Currently the HSE provides the chair and secretariat for the Forum and membership at December 2009 included -
- Association of British Insurers (ABI)
- Association of Colleges (AOC)
- Association of Vehicle Recovery Operators (AVRO)
- Automotive Distribution Federation (ADF)
- Automotive Skills Ltd
- British Coatings Federation (BCF)
- Chief & Assistant Chief Fire Officers Association (CACFOA)
- Communication Workers Union (CWU)
- Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT)
- Freight Transport Association (FTA)
- Garage Equipment Association (GEA)
- Institute of Automotive Engineering Assessors (IAEA)
- Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI)
- Institute of Vehicle Recovery (IVR)
- Local Authority Environmental Health Officers
- Motor Dealers Safety Group (MDSG)
- Motor Importers Health and Safety Group (MIHSG)
- Motor Insurance Repair Research Centre
- MVRA Ltd
- National Tyre Distributors Association (NTDA)
- Retail Motor Industry Federation (RMIF)
- Road Haulage Association (RHA)
- Safety Federation (SAFed)
- Scottish Motor Trade Association (SMTA)
- Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT)
- Society of Operations Engineers (SOE)
- Transport & General Workers Union (TGWU)
- Unite the Union
- Vehicle Builders and Repairers Association (VBRA)
- Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)
Programme of work
The Forum meets twice a year with smaller Working Groups dealing with the most significant work items.
Minutes of the MVR
You can find a record of previous MVR meetings available from The National Archive.