Amendments to Annex I of EC Regulation 689/2008 on the export and import of dangerous chemicals (PIC)
Government department lead
Commission Regulation (EC) 689/2008 is a directly actingropean Regulation that implementsropean Union Member States’ obligations under the Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent (PIC) Procedure for Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade. The UK became a party to the Rotterdam Convention in 1998.
- The Rotterdam Convention aims to promote shared responsibility and cooperation in the international trade of certain hazardous chemicals. It gives importing countries the power to make informed decisions on which chemicals they want to receive, and to exclude those they cannot manage safely.
- Regulation (EC) 689/2008/ also requires information to be exchanged about chemicals banned for use or severely restricted within theropean Community and it increases the number of chemicals subject to the Prior Informed Consent Procedure.
Commission Regulation (EU) 15/2010, which came into force on 29 January 2010, added a number of substances to Annex I of (EC) 689/2008content. It also amended or removed some other entries.; Further additions and amendments to Annex I were introduced by Regulation (EU) 196/2010, which came into effect on 1 May 2010, Regulation (EU) 186/2011 which applied from 1 May 2011 and Regulation (EU) 214/2011 which also applied from 1 May 2011. Regulation (EU) 214/2011 also added some substances to Annex V of Regulation content(EC) 689/2008 including nine persistent organic pollutants subject to the Stockholm Convention plus mercury and several mercury compounds, meaning that these substances can no longer be exported from theropean Union. More recently, Commission Regulation (EU) 834/2011, which applied from 1 October 2011, added five substances to Annex I Parts 1 and 2 and removed one entry, and;Regulation (EU) 71/2012 added or amended Annex I entries for a further seven substances, removed two entries and applied from 1 April 2012.
A further draft Commission proposal to amend Annexes I and V of Regulation (EC) 689/2008 was published in 2012 and is expected to come into effect during the first half of 2013. The proposal adds six substances to Parts 1 and 2 of Annex I and amends one entry, adds a further three substances already in Part 1 to Part 2, removes the entries for two substances from Part 1 and one from Part 2 of the Annex, and adds three substances to Part 3 whilst at the same time removing them from Part 2. The proposal also adds one substance to Annex V of the Regulation, which means that it will become subject to an export ban.
For further information about the export and import of dangerous chemicals from and intorope, please visit the PIC webpages.
- HSE: Export and Import of Dangerous Chemicals
- Rotterdam Convention website
- Stockholm Convention website