Proposed directive amending the Carcinogens and Mutagens Directive (2004/37/EC)
Government department lead
The European Commission is proposing an amendment to the Carcinogens and Mutagens Directive (2004/37/EC). This Directive consolidated the Carcinogens Directive (90/394/EEC) with subsequent amendments. Social Partner consultation occurred in 2004 and 2007. The Commission has subsequently engaged a contractor to undertake a scoping study concerning future amendments.
The tender document for the scoping study contract requested the contractor to consider the following areas:
- Introduction of a system for setting occupational exposure limits (OELs) based on objective risk criteria.
- Assessment of the requirements for prevention of risk of exposure.
- Possible addition of four process-generated substances to Annex I (a substance to be considered as carcinogenic).
- Revised OELs for two substances in Annex III (Limit values for occupational exposure).
- Addition of further substances to Annex III.
Once the contractor has reported its findings back to the Commission, the latter will publish a draft text of a Directive. HSE will then start negotiations and undertake the preparation of a Regulatory Impact Assessment.