Are you a...licensed contractor?

What you need to know

An employer must obtain a licence from HSE before carrying out any licensable work with asbestos.

The Asbestos Licensing Unit (ALU)

The Asbestos Licensing Unit's role is to set national standards for assessment and to encourage those involved in the assessment process to adopt a consistent line, to ensure standards are applied fairly and without prejudice.

The licensing system

The licensing system is a strict process put in place to ensure that those employers carrying out higher risk work on asbestos, can demonstrate that they are competent to carry out the work, and have the necessary knowledge, experience and expertise to protect the health and safety of their employees and themselves.

How to apply for/renew a licence

If you are looking to renew your licence or apply for your first licence, you will find all the information you need in the licence application pages.

Notification of licensed work 

Any licensed work with asbestos must be notified to the relevant enforcing authority in writing 14 days before work begins.  This can be done using the FOD ASB5 form.

Asbestos Licence Assessment And Revocation Guide (ALAARG)

The ALAARG provides guidance on the asbestos licensing system and should be of interest to anyone involved in licensed work.

The Licensed Contractors Guide

The licensed contractors guide is guidance for businesses holding a licence to work with asbestos. It covers various aspects of licensed work with asbestos-containing materials.  It also provides an overview of asbestos and its health effects, the law, and how to work safely with asbestos.

Is this page useful?

Updated 2023-06-23