Skill and knowledge can deteriorate over time if good practice is not reinforced. Your workplace needs systems in place that will:
- regularly assess your workers' ability to drive safely;
- maintain agreed fitness standards; and
- respond to the changing needs of individuals.
Supervision: questions to ask
- Who will supervise each worker?
- How will the worker be supervised?
- Who will the supervisor report to?
For further information about supervision and workplace transport safety performance download Measuring Workplace Transport Safety
Performance [PDF 817KB]
To maintain standards, you need management systems in place that include:
- periodic fitness assessments;
- monitoring sick absences;
- line management supervision
- accurate accident and near-miss reporting
Your company policy and procedure should answer these questions:
- What fitness standards do you need to maintain?
- When – and how often – will you check your workers’ physical and mental fitness to drive or operate the vehicle for which they were originally employed?
- How will you decide is a worker is no longer fit to drive or operate that vehicle?
- If this point is reached, what action will you take?