Changing light bulbs in a sports hall
Factors to consider
- Height - the fittings are suspended from the roof at a height of 10m.
- The equipment needs to be free-standing as it cannot be supported.
- Surface conditions - the floor is smooth,clean and dry.
- Access - is restricted as it's via a standard double doorway.
- Work duration - the work is expected to be of short duration as it involves removing a cover and changing the bulb.
- The time between equipment movements is short.
- Work activity is indoors so we don't have to worry about what the weather is like! However as the job is in a sports hall you need to wait until the sports hall is not being used and no-one is likely to be around. If anyone is likely to access the area remember to cordon the area off safely.
- Work activity is expected to be 'light' as it only involves removing a cover and changing the bulb.
With all of these conditions, the access equipment that could be considered includes, either a mobile access tower scaffold or a single user mobile elevating work platform (MEWP).
HSE Key Message : All access equipment should be used by a competent person in its erection/use/dismantling or operation. If you're still being trained, you should be supervised by someone who is competent to use the access equipment and carry out the task.
- Installation of CCTV equipment - mounting 3 CCTV cameras on the walls of a shopping centre
- Changing light bulbs in an office corridor