HSE key message is that ladders should be used for low risk, short duration work.
Ladders are classified for type of use.
- EN 131 is for trade and light industrial use;
- BS2037/BS1129 Class 1 for heavy duty and industrial use; and
- BS2037/BS1129 Class 3 is for domestic use.
Manufacturers must always supply information about the specification of their ladders and provide information such as maximum working load.
People should only use a ladder, step ladder or stability device if they are competent. Users should be trained and instructed to use the equipment safely.
Possible hire cost: in the region of £70 per week
Set up time; minimal
- INDG401 - The Work at Height Regulations 2005: A brief guide.
- INDG455 - Safe use of ladders and stepladders