This security service employs around 200 security officers on 50 sites,
guarding factories, offices and warehouses. It has had only two staff assaults
in 14 years.
- Assault, injury (including from needles), threats and abuse.
- Theft and damage of personal property.
Reducing the risk
Training and information
- Unsuitable staff are filtered out through selection and training
- Recruits are given the security industry’s training package,
followed by supervised and structured on-the-job training.
- Performance assessment includes adherence to personal safety routines.
- Recruits are taught to be non-confrontational in approach. Techniques
involving courtesy, politeness, firmness, smiling etc are drilled
- Continual on-the-job monitoring of individual performance is carried
- The company uses a 24-hour control room with audio/visual monitoring
of sites and staff.
- The client must provide adequate safety arrangements for guards,
eg suitable perimeter fences, offices or gatehouses, CCTV coverage of
remote areas, radios and mobile phones, and guard dogs.
- Staff are given anti-tetanus injections.
- Staff operate in pairs or teams with random supervisory checks.
- Mobile patrols are used as back-up.
- Staff stay in regular contact with the control room.