Epidemiological research carried out by or commissioned by HSE
Asbestos workers survey
British Asbestosis and Mesothelioma Registers
- Mortality from asbestosis and mesothelioma in Britain by birth cohort5
British Mesothelioma Case-Control Study
Burden of Occupational Cancer in Britain
- Occupational cancer burden research (see also Rushton et al.7)
- The burden of cancer at work: estimation as the first step to prevention8
- Occupation and cancer in Britain9
- Toward Risk Reduction: Predicting the Future Burden of Occupational Cancer10
Cancer and the semiconductor industry
Occupational Health Decennial Supplement
- Mortality and cancer incidence among British agricultural pesticide users12
- Harding AH, Darnton A, Wegerdt J, McElvenny D. (2009) Mortality among British asbestos workers undergoing regular medical examinations (1971-2005). Occup Environ Med 66(7):487-95.
- Harding AH, Darnton A. (2010) Asbestosis and mesothelioma among British asbestos workers (1971-2005). Am J Ind Med 53(11):1070-80.
- Frost G, Darnton A, Harding AH. (2011) The effect of smoking on the risk of lung cancer mortality for asbestos workers in Great Britain (1971-2005). Ann Occup Hyg 55(3):239-47.
- Harding AH, Darnton A, Osman J. (2012) Cardiovascular disease mortality among British asbestos workers (1971-2005). Occup Environ Med 69(6):417-21.
- Darnton, AJ. Hodgson JT, Benson P, and Coggon D. (2012) Mortality from asbestosis and mesothelioma in Britain by birth cohort. Occup Med published 25 July 2012, 10.1093/occmed/kqs119
- Rake C, Gilham C, Hatch J, Darnton A, Hodgson J, Peto J. (2009) Occupational, domestic and environmental mesothelioma risks in the British population: a case-control study. Br J Cancer 7;100(7):1175-83.
- Rushton, L et al. (2012) Occupation and cancer in Britain. British Journal of Cancer 107;(Supplement 1):S1-S108.
- Rushton L, Hutchings S, Brown T. (2008) The burden of cancer at work: estimation as the first step to prevention. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 65(12):789-800
- Rushton L, Bagga S, Bevan R, Brown TP, Cherrie JW, Holmes P, et al. (2010) Occupation and cancer in Britain. British Journal of Cancer 102(9):1428-1437.
- Hutchings S, Rushton L. (2011) Toward Risk Reduction: Predicting the Future Burden of Occupational Cancer. Am. J. Epidemiol. 173(9):1069-1077.
- Darnton A, Miller BG, Maccalman L, Galea KS, Wilkinson S, Cherrie JW, Shafrir A, McElvenny D, Osman J. (2012) An updated investigation of cancer incidence and mortality at a Scottish semiconductor manufacturing facility with case-control and case-only studies of selected cancers. Occup Environ Med. Jun 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Frost G, Brown T, Harding A-H. (2011) Mortality and cancer incidence among British agricultural pesticide users. Occupational Medicine. 61(5):303-310.
- Tan E, Warren N, Darnton AJ, Hodgson JT. (2010) Projection of mesothelioma mortality in Britain using Bayesian methods. Br J Cancer. 103(3):430-6.
- Wang X-S, Armstrong MEG, Cairns BJ, Key TJ, Travis RC. Shift work and chronic disease: the epidemiological evidence. Occup. Med. 2011; 61(2):78-89.
- Wang X-S, Travis RC, Reeves G, Green J, Allen NE, Key TJ, et al. Characteristics of the Million Women Study participants who have and have not worked at night. Scandinavian Journal of Work Environment & Health 2012;38(6):590-599.
- Wang X-S, Tipper S, Appleby PN, Allen NE, Key TJ, Travis RC. First-Morning Urinary Melatonin and Breast Cancer Risk in the Guernsey Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 2014;179(5):584-593.