Most mesothelioma deaths occurring now are a legacy of past occupational exposures to asbestos when it was widely used in the building industry.
The latest information shows:
- There were 2,538 mesothelioma deaths in Great Britain in 2013, a similar number to the 2,548 deaths in 2012, but substantially higher than the 2,312 deaths in 2011.
- The increase in annual mesothelioma deaths in recent years has been driven mainly by deaths among those aged 75 and above.
- In 2013 there were 2,123 male deaths and 415 female deaths.
- There were 2,145 new cases of mesothelioma assessed for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) in 2013 compared with 2,125 in 2012.
- Men who worked in the building industry when asbestos was used extensively are now among those most at risk of mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma in Great Britain: annual deaths, IIDB cases and projected future deaths to 2030.