Asbestosis deaths and Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) cases continue to increase in Great Britain, a legacy of heavy exposures to asbestos in the past.
The latest information shows:
- In 2014 there were 431 deaths where the death certificate mentioned asbestosis and not mesothelioma compared with 109 in 1978. (Asbestosis register)
- In 2014 there were 198 deaths with asbestosis specifically recorded as the underlying cause of death compared with 36 in 1978. (Asbestosis register).
- There were 1175 new cases assessed for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) in 2015 compared with 985 in 2014.
- There has been a long-term upward trend in both deaths and IIDB cases, though with substantial fluctuations year-on-year in IIDB cases, particularly in recent years.
- Increases in annual numbers of deaths have been driven mainly by cases above age 75 years.
Annual deaths where death certificates mentioned asbestosis but not mesothelioma, and IIDB cases 1978-2015