Topic area 9 : The quarry health and safety document
Estimated Duration: 3 Hours
- To outline the background to, and the requirements of the Quarries Regulations,
- Be able to draft a ‘Health and Safety Document’ in line
with Regulation 7 of the Quarries Regulations, 1999.
1. Background and requirements of the Quarries Regulations, 1999
- Duties of the Quarry Operator: Planning and preparation, day to day
management, review and monitoring.
- Workforce participation
2. The Health and Safety Document
- Health & Safety Policy (recap)
- Risk Assessments (recap)
- Management Structure (recap)
- Emergency Plans
- Rules and Procedures
- Procedures for monitoring and review (recap)
- Case Studies
3. Principals of Emergency Plans
- Overview of the need to plan for emergency recovery (and business recovery);
- Emergency Preparedness – defined as all technical, operational
and organisation measures which prevents a dangerous situation that has
occurred from developing into an accidental event, or which prevent or
reduce the harmful effects that have occurred.
- Stages of emergency preparedness, with examples: Detection, Limitation,
- Emergency Organisation – definition of roles and responsibilities,
procedures for providing rescue and medical equipment and arrangements
for testing the emergency plans.
- Example contents of emergency plans and procedures in relation to the
requirements of the Quarry Health & Safety document.
4. Permit to Work Schemes
- Purpose of PTW schemes
- Contents and Examples of PTW schemes. The essential elements of a PTW
- Full explanation of the hazards involved
- The work to be carried out is properly detailed and understood
by both sides.
- The area in which the work is to be carried out is clearly identified
- Workmen must sign the PTW to say that they fully understand the
work that is to be carried out, and the risks involved.
- When the work is complete, the workmen must sign off the PTW to
say that they have completed the work and left the operation in a
5. Preparing and managing rules and procedures
Suggested Reading & Other Resources
- HSC – Health & Safety at Quarries: Quarry Regulations 1999 ACOP,
HSE Books, 1999
- HSE – Do you work in a Quarry? A Simple Guide to the Quarries Regulations,
HSE Books, 1999