Estimated Duration: 1 Hour
Need to investigate and learn from accidents and incidents –
1. The primary purpose of accident investigation is to improve health and safety performance by
2. Dealing with immediate risks – when accident and incidents occur there may be a need to treat the injured, make the area safe or initiate an emergency plan.
3. Selecting the level of investigation and Team – Not all accidents/incidents need to be investigated to the same extent.
4. Investigating the Accident– Thorough investigations are necessary to ensure that all lessons are learnt and that the correct actions (hierarchy of risk control) are taken to prevent a re-occurrence
5. Collecting and Analysing evidence – observing the scene, examining documentation relevant to the circumstances; and interviewing those involved and those who witnessed the event
6. Recording and follow up – Ensuring that the actions taken are effective and that accident information is analysed to identify common features and trends.