Safe waste and recycling collection services
- Date of publication:
- Series code:
This guidance is primarily for clients in control of contracts, those who specify contracts and employers who operate services. It will also useful to managers and supervisors who design and operate collection services. This guidance is about managing risks from collection services activities. It includes information on how to assess and control the main risks and provides advice on managing ‘task and finish’ practices were applicable.
- Operating a vehicle-based collection service has the potential to expose collection crews, other roads users and pedestrians to a range of hazards.
- Clients and contractors each have duties to ensure that the service is suitable and safe, before, during and during the life of the contract.
- ‘Task and finish’ practices, where applicable, must be managed.
Changes since the last edition
- This edition incorporates guidance previously found in the HSE information sheet Managing ‘task and finish’ to reduce safety risks (Waste 17) which is now withdrawn.
- This edition updates references to legislation and links to further guidance. It also gives a clearer explanation of what action to take and why