Preventing back pain - What can I do to help protect workers?
The physical demands of some tasks like manual handling, lifting, bending and driving heavy vehicles can trigger an episode or make an existing back pain worse.
Take steps to reduce the risk of back pain in the workplace.
- Think about how you can make jobs physically easier, e.g. by moving loads on wheels, providing better handles on loads, adjusting heights of worktops etc.
- Consult regularly with the employees on their health and well being to help you identify concerns and developing trends.
- Take actions to address any outcomes from these discussions.
- Respond promptly when an individual worker reports back pain
- Do risk assessments – and make changes where needed.
Visit the web pages for your industry for advice on work place risks specific to your industry.