LAC 67/2 (rev5) - Setting priorities and targeting interventions
Annex B – Information sources to assist development of LA intervention plans
Although not exhaustive the following summarises the potential information sources that may be available to assist LAs when developing intervention plans - data protection issues may need addressing when sharing information of this type.
Sources within your Local Authority
- LA inspection/complaints database - risk ratings, past performance, local trends.
- Food Safety Officer observations – confidence in management, M.E.C.
- Trading standards - confidence in management, M.E.C.
- Building control - changes in business activity, M.E.C.
- Business rates - new businesses.
- Registration/Licensing schemes - new businesses, changes in business activity, confidence in management.
- Adverse Defect Reports (also known as Adverse Insurance Reports (AIRs)) - may indicate poor management or maintenance systems suggesting a failure to manage safety appropriately.
- Local knowledge - local sector changes, poor performers.
- Community protection teams - issues identified by multi-regulatory working.
Sources within your local community and region
- Local health and safety Liaison Groups - Local trends, sharing good regulatory practice, methods of effective engagement, poor performing companies that operate in more than one LA.
- Clinical Commissioning Groups - anonymised local work related ill health statistics, issues that span the health and safety/ public health boundary.
- GPs - reportable cases of work related ill health, reports disclosed by patients.
- CQC and County Councils - identification of establishments with poor or failing management systems, issues that span the health and safety/ public health boundary.
- Safety representatives/local Trade Union contacts - worker complaints.
- Local Trade Association contacts - issues of poor practice, requests for advice.
- Information from Local Enterprise Partnerships and their associated structures.
- Local Media/Press - reported near misses.
- Police - information regarding violence in workplace or issues from the local community safety scheme.
- Local training establishments - requests for advice, joint activity, changes in local business profiles.
- Information within the Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA).
- RIDDOR data - reported ill health and accidents, statistically comparisons and trends.
- Labour Force Survey - societal trends may include otherwise unreported trends.
- National planning priorities - issues identified and analysed by HSE policy teams as having a national priority.
- Prosecutions database.
- Local HSE office contacts - shared local knowledge, issues crossing the HSE/LA regulatory boundaries.
- Asbestos (ASB5) Database - Priority Visit Status (PVC) and requests for asbestos license deferments - if unjustified they may indicate deficiencies in competence or poor practice.
- Industry sector updates via HSE email bulletins 9.5.
- Information provided to all LA Health and safety regulatory staff via HELEX system.
- Latest news page on the HSE website.