Aims and objectives
The aim of horizon scanning and futures
To systematically anticipate, identify and prepare for new or changing risks in the workplace and to consider the implications that new and emerging issues will have on the distribution of resources, existing priorities and delivery for work related health and safety.
To help both HSE and the whole health and safety system be better prepared to meet the future, take advantage of opportunities and minimise threats.
The aim of this website
The horizon scanning and futures site has been created to:
- make the outputs of the Horizon Scanning process publicly available
- give others in the health and safety community an opportunity to be better prepared.
- provide a way to draw on the knowledge, experience and ideas of people outside HSE and benefit from their insights
- raise awareness of HSE's work in this area and make our strategic planning more transparent and comprehensive.
Objectives of horizon scanning and futures
- To help ensure that HSE keeps abreast of the health and safety implications of cross-Government activities (eg Foresight projects) that could impact health and safety in the workplace.
Scope of horizon scanning and futures
Horizon scanning should identify developments in:
- science and technology;
- the workplace;
- socio-economic factors that affect the labour force and market;
- public attitudes to risk and health and safety;
- the UK political agenda;
- the European Union; and
- international developments;
that could significantly affect workplace health and safety in the UK.