Messages for hairdressers
- Up to 70% of hairdressers suffer some form of skin damage
- Dermatitis is caused by contact with chemicals present in hairdressing products and prolonged contact with water
- Dermatitis causes personal suffering
- Dermatitis is unsightly and unpleasant
- Dermatitis is bad for your career as well as your skin
- You can prevent it - look after your hands by wearing non-latex gloves, drying hands thoroughly and using moisturisers regularly; also take regular ‘glove breaks’, don’t spend all day washing hair, alternate duties (e.g.: cut hair instead) and change gloves between clients.