1. Under the Pipelines Safety Regulations 1996, regulation 13A, HSE approved iron mains replacement programmes for the year 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012 for the gas Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) shown in Table 1. The progress in meeting the national and individual network targets is also shown.
2. Normally HSE approves iron mains replacement targets annually. However, HSE will approve programmes lasting more than one year if:
3. In Table 1 the targets marked with an asterisk (*) form part of 3-year approved programmes from 1 April 2010 to 31 March 2013.
|Network||Network operator||Decommissioning Target (km)||Decommissioning Actual (km)|
|North West||National Grid Gas plc||521.0||1820.0||528.0||1808.0|
|East of England||599.0||607.0|
|North of England||Northern Gas Networks Limited||528.1||526.6|
|Scotland||Scotland Gas Networks plc||269.0*||272.5|
|South of England||Southern Gas Networks plc||712.3*||810.8|
|Wales & West||Wales & West Utilities Limited||361.0*||382.8|
4. Nationally 3800.7 km of iron mains were decommissioned against the approved target of 3690.4 km – an excess delivery of 110.3 km.
5. However, National Grid Gas plc and Northern Gas Networks Ltd reported decommissioning shortfalls of 12 km (0.7% of their target) and 1.5 km (0.3% of their target) respectively. These shortfalls will be addressed in 2012 - 13 in addition to the approved programmes for those networks.
6. As part of its monitoring strategy and 5 year intervention plans for the Distribution Network Operators (DNOs), HSE continues to carry out mains replacement audits to check that mains are decommissioned in accordance with the policies and procedures in the DNOs’ Gas Safety (Management) Regulations 1996 safety cases.