Progress with the Iron Mains Replacement Programme 2004 - 2005
- Under the Pipelines Safety Regulations 1996 (as amended by the Pipelines Safety (Amendment) Regulations 2003), regulation 13A, HSE approved an annual replacement programme for Transco for the period April 2004 to March 2005. This required Transco to decommission 2882 km of iron mains in accordance with agreed policy and procedures in Transco's safety case.
- Transco decommissioned 2847 km, 35 km (~1%) below target.
- The reason for a shortfall in length was mainly due to a challenge in finding available and competent contractor resources against a background of increases in other utilities' requirements. Whilst changing contracts, Transco lost about three weeks of productivity at 10km/week.
- HSE has agreed that 34 km of the shortfall will be included in Transco's replacement target for 2005 - 6.
- As part of its monitoring strategy, HSE completed audits in the Scotland Distribution Network and Wales & the West Distribution Network. The findings were that mains were being prioritised for replacement in accordance with agreed policies.