- ManagersPlan loading and unloading to minimise work at height.
Supervise safe systems and use of access equipment.
- Vehicle buyersAvoid the need to work at height by choosing ground based controls.
Insist on slip resistant surfaces.
- WorkersDon't jump off vehicles. Always use steps and handholds.
Follow safe systems of work.
Report missing or damaged equipment.
- Take a few seconds to climb down facing the vehicle – DON’T jump. Jumping is bad for your knees in the long term and you are much more likely to fall and could break an arm or leg.
- Report missing or damaged access equipment.
- Report slip, trip and fall hazards and discuss with managers how these risks could be minimised.
- Look at what other companies do - if you see a good idea, suggest it to your Safety Adviser.
- Wear slip-resistant footwear.
- Preventing falls from vehicles - INDG 413
- Preventing falls from vehicles - INDG 413 (Polski/Polish)
- Preventing falls from vehicles - INDG 413 (Cymraeg/Welsh)
- Workers' poster
Help raise awareness of ways to prevent falls from vehicles. [PDF 140KB]
- Selecting the right footwear to avoid falls from vehicles
- Delivering safely: Co-operating to prevent workplace vehicle accidents
- Shanks Waste Management Ltd