- ManagersPlan loading and unloading to minimise work at height.
Supervise safe systems and use of access equipment.
- Vehicle buyersAvoid the need to work at height by choosing ground based controls.
Insist on slip resistant surfaces.
- WorkersDon't jump off vehicles. Always use steps and handholds.
Follow safe systems of work.
Report missing or damaged equipment.
Ground level controls
Avoid working at height unless it is essential: position plant controls at ground level to avoid the need to climb up.
- ground-based sheeting systems instead of manual sheeting
- a sliding connector block (or Mavis rail) allowing Suzie connections from ground level on articulated vehicles, avoiding the need to access the catwalk
- underslung refrigeration units where possible
- ground-based controls for ancillary equipment
- Preventing slips, trips and falls from vehicles: The basics
- Safe access to road-going vehicles: Specifying the right equipment
- 3663 First for Foodservice
- Morrisons make it safer for their drivers and fitters
- Balfour Beatty saves time and increases safety
- Shepherd Group’s solution to working at height