Some of the guidance on educational visits
Department for Education and Skills
- Health and Safety of Pupils on Educational Visits: a Good Practice Guide
1988 (reprinted in 2001).
- Health and Safety: Responsibilities and Powers (DfES/0803/2001).
- Standards for LEAs in Overseeing Educational Visits. Part 1 of a 3 -
Part Supplement to Health and Safety of Pupils on Educational Visits.
- Standards for Adventure. Part 2 of a 3 - Part Supplement to Health and
Safety of Pupils on Educational Visits. (DfES/0565/2002)
- A Handbook for Group Leaders. Part 3 of a 3 - Part Supplement to Health
and Safety of Pupils on Educational Visits. (DfES/0566/2002)
All of the above documents are available from DfES.
- Guidance to the Licensing Authority on the Adventure Activities Licensing
- Adventure activities centres: Controlling the risks in the workplace.
- Managing Health and Safety in Swimming Pools 1999.
- The New General Teaching Requirements for Health and Safety 1999, QCA/HSE.
- Sector Information Minute SIM 7/2002/27 'School Visits and Trips'
advises HSE Inspectors on responsibilities for ensuring safety during
school trips (including overseas visits)
- Preparing Young People for a Safer Life (Cheshire County Council and
Institute of Occupational Safety and Health). The document contains a
model risk assessment for a sponsored walk.
- Adventure Activities Industry Advisory Committee (AAIAC): Statement
of Risk Perception in Adventure and Outdoor Activities.
- Safety on School Trips: A Teachers and the Law Booklet - The Professional
Association of Teachers. Revised edition 2002
- Educational Visits - NASUWT 2001
- Safe Supervision for Teaching and Coaching Swimming. Amateur Swimming
Association and other. 2nd edition 2001
- The Wales Tourist Board, the Scottish Tourist Board and the British
Activity Holiday Association provide voluntary inspection schemes to complement
licensing for providers of activities that are out of scope of licensing.
Sports governing bodies produce their own guidance, which provide specific
safety tips relevant to individual activities.