Current consultations and discussions
Take the opportunity to influence health and safety policy. Participate in the current public consultations and discussions below, and help make a difference.
- CD272 – Consultation on the implementation of Directive 2013/30/EU on the safety of offshore oil and gas operations and amending Directive 2004/35/EC, and on the review of offshore Approved Codes of Practice and the updating of UK onshore oil and gas safety legislation to cover emerging energy technologies
This consultation document (CD) seeks your views on the UK’s proposed approach to implement the offshore safety Directive, and includes proposals on amendments to existing legislation, new requirements, new administrative procedures, and the establishment of an offshore competent authority.
Consultation began on 28 July and ends on 21 September 2014.
- CD273 – Consultation on proposals to exempt self-employed persons from section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, except those undertaking activities on a prescribed list
This consultative document seeks views on the clarity of the proposed definitions, relied upon in the draft regulations, of those, self-employed persons who will continue to have duties under health and safety law. The proposal to exempt certain self-employed persons from health and safety law is derived from a recommendation made by Professor Löfstedt in his report ‘Reclaiming health and safety for all: an independent review of health and safety legislation.’
Consultation began on 7 July and ends on 31 August 2014.
- CD269 – Consultation on proposals on the alignment of health and safety regulations with the EU direct acting Classification, Labelling and Packaging Regulation
This Consultative Document seeks views on the proposals from HSE to align domestic legislation with the EU direct acting Classification, Labelling and Packaging Regulation (CLP).
Consultation began on 12 June and ends on 5 August 2014.
Consultations and discussions that ended during 2014
- CD271 – Consultation on Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002
This consultative document seeks views on HSE’s proposed revised version of the Approved Code of Practice on the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR). L133 – Unloading petrol from road tankers.
Consultation began on 11 June and ends on 22 July 2014
- CD 266 - Consultation on Draft Regulations to implement Council Directive 2012/EU/18 (Seveso III) on the control of major accident hazards involving dangerous substances, amending and subsequently repealing Council Directive 96/82/EC (Seveso II)
This Consultative Document invites views on new regulations, titled ‘The Control of Major Accident Hazards Regulations 2015’ to implement all but the land use planning aspects and Article 30 of Council Directive 2012/18/EU (Seveso III Directive) on the control of major-accident hazards involving dangerous substances. It also seeks comments on the new public information requirements, Scope, some other areas of change and the initial assessment of the costs and benefits of the proposed changes.
Consultation began on 2 May and ended on 27 June 2014
- CD 261 – Consultation on replacement of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007
This consultation seeks views on HSE's proposal to replace the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 (CDM 2007) and withdraw the Approved Code of Practice. In line with an evaluation of CDM 2007 and a recommendation in Professor Löfstedt's report Reclaiming health and safety for all: an independent review of health and safety legislation, the proposed revision is intended to aid clarity and reduce bureaucracy. The ACOP would be replaced with a suite of tailored guidance aimed at particular sectors, in particular smaller projects. Two thirds or more of fatal injuries in construction occur on small sites.
Consultation began on 31 March and ended on 6 June 2014
- CD267 – Consultation on the proposal for new Regulations on health and safety in mines
This consultation seeks views on proposals to introduce new Regulations covering health and safety in mines. These would replace all existing mines legislation and include specific duties on mine operators to manage major hazards inherent to mining. The Approved Codes of Practice supporting existing law would be replaced by a single new guidance document. This review is one of the Löfstedt sector specific consolidations.
Consultation began on 7 April and ended on 1 June 2014
- CD268 – ACOPs: Provision and Use of Work Equipment (L22), Safe Use of Power Presses (L112), Safe Use of Woodworking Machinery (L114)
This Consultative Document seeks views on HSE's proposed revisions to the PUWER regulations approved code of practice (ACOP) and two associated ACOPs namely: Safe Use of Power Presses and Safe Use of Woodworking Machinery.
Consultation began on 31 March and ended on 23 May 2014
- Public consultation on the request for consent to dismantling of seven nuclear submarines at Rosyth Royal Dockyard
ONR is holding a formal 3-month consultation period in order to provide the opportunity for interested parties to comment upon Babcock’s application and decommissioning project. Consultees are invited to comment upon any aspect of the dismantling project, particularly the environmental statement that contains the environmental impact assessment for the proposed decommissioning project and the mitigation measures to be used to avoid or minimise any significant adverse impacts on the environment.
Consultation began on 22 January 2014 and ended on 21 April 2014
- CD264 – Consultation on proposals for the consolidation of petroleum legislation
This consultation seeks views on HSE’s proposals to consolidate and modernise the petroleum legislative framework in GB. The consolidation is intended to update legislative provisions and make them simpler to understand. The consolidation is part of the sector specific consolidations recommended by Professor Löfstedt’s independent review of health and safety legislation ‘Reclaiming health and safety for all’ which are to be delivered by the end of 2014.
Consultation began on 13 December and ended on 7 February 2014
- Proposal to amend the provisions of section 11 of the Employment Act 1989 to extend the exemption afforded to turban-wearing Sikhs
Following representations which highlighted a legislative anomaly HSE is, on behalf of the Minister for Disabled People and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, proposing to make an amendment to extend the exemption in the Employment Act 1989, S11 so that turban wearing Sikhs in any industry will be exempt from the need to wear head-protection, and to extend the limited liability provisions of that exemption to their employers.
Consultation began on 27 January 2014 and ended on 7 February 2014
- CD265 – Consultation on Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) – Dichloromethane paint-strippers
This Consultative Document sets out proposals from HSE to amend the REACH Enforcement Regulations 2008 to take up a derogation from a European ban on certain uses of dichloromethane (DCM)-based paint strippers.
Consultation began on 4 November and ended on 3 January 2014.