Discussion - Prioritising the work of the Health and Safety Commission
Discussion ended 22 October 2001
The Health and Safety Commission hopes that publication of this paper will
stimulate consideration and discussion of the issues raised.
- As part of the 'Revitalising Health and Safety' strategy for
improving health and safety at work, the Government and the Health and
Safety Commission have set targets to reduce injuries, ill-health and
days lost at work.
- The Health and Safety Commission's published Strategic Plan for
2001-4 sets out how it and the Health and Safety Executive (HSC/E) will
contribute to meeting the targets. This contribution will be through:
- Taking action in priority areas where significant improvements are
required if the targets are to be met.
- Effective regulation of the major hazards sectors.
- Its statutory responsibility to secure compliance with the law.
- Meeting the mandate given by statute and Government to modernise
and simplify the regulatory framework; provide information and advice;
promote risk assessment and technical knowledge; and operate statutory