CD252 – Consultation on proposals for a revised Approved Code of Practice on ‘Safe installation and use of gas systems and appliances’ (L56)
This consultative document invites views on the revised Approved Code of Practice (ACOP) L56 - "Safe installation and use of gas systems and appliances".
L56 provides practical guidance on how to comply with:
- the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (SI 1998 No 2451) (GSIUR);
- sections 2(1), 2(c), 3(1) and 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, with regards to standards of training in safe gas installation;
and is relevant to a wide range of people, from those installing, servicing, maintaining or repairing gas appliances and other gas fittings, to suppliers and users of gas, including some landlords.
Significant revisions include:
- The introduction of further ACOP and guidance on the requirement for all those carrying out gas work to be adequately trained, following the withdrawal of COP20 - standards of training in safe gas installation (being withdrawn November 2013).
- The removal of the majority of landlords’ guidance from regulation 36, and its replacement with a small amount of ACOP text.
- The removal of Appendix 1 technical detail.
- Minor revisions, including to the definition of gas fitting and gas.
The revised ACOP and guidance have been prepared by HSE in consultation with representatives from across the gas industry. The ACOP has been revised in response to Professor Löfstedt’s independent review of health and safety legislation ‘Reclaiming health and safety for all’.
View the consultative document.
Respond to the consultation using the online questionnaire or download a form to complete.
The consultation began on 7 May 2013 and ended on the 30 July 2013
Update - November 2013
An analysis of consultation responses is now available
Responses should be sent by 30 July 2013 to:
Health and Safety Executive
5.S.G Redgrave Court